Having ants at home is a normal phenomenon and they usually don’t cause any harm to you or your belongings. But in some cases these ants can be harmful as some species of ants can damage your property like carpenter ants. Ants can also spread some bacteria in your home that can lead to sickness or infection. These ants are so tiny that you may not notice them at first but when they start moving into your home then you will find it very difficult to get rid of them.
Ants can live in cracks of walls and floors where they dig deeper to make their colonies. Most of the time you will find them in your backyard where they get plenty of water and food without getting in any trouble. Sometimes these ants in your backyard can attack your pets or children if they are disturbed by them. So you must try to get rid of them quickly for making your family and belongings safe.
Things that attract ants
Ants in the house are usually attracted by several things or conditions, in the absence of which you won’t find them in your home. Here are some of those things that attract ants the most:
- They are attracted to warm temperatures that’s why they mostly live in warm areas like near electric appliances, water heaters, kitchen, etc.
- Moisture is the second most important thing that is required for the survival of ants and that’s why they try to be in places where there is no shortage of water.
- Any source of food works like a magnet for ants. Mostly sugar and carbohydrate is the main source of their nutrition so where ever they find it convenient, they start living there.
- Untidy or unhygienic places also attract the ants as there they find everything they want for their survival.
- Plants like roses and clematis are among some of the plants that attract ants in the home.
- Poor sanitary conditions or leakages in your home can also be another thing that is attracting ants to your home.
- If you don’t empty your pet’s food after he’s done eating then it will also attract ants towards your home.
- Ants like building their nests in decaying plants or wood. So if you have try to get rid of decaying wood or trees in your yard if you don’t want an ant infestation.
These were just some of the things that attract black ants in the house. Try to keep these things out of reach of wants, remove them or fix them if you don’t want ants in your home, or call Melbourne Pest Control to get rid of ants from your home.
You might wonder how to stop ants in your home or how to prevent ants from interesting your home. To do so you must take care of things that are responsible for attracting ants to your home. There’s a well-known saying that prevention is better than cure that’s why preventive measures are more important than any other thing in case of protecting your home from ants. There are a lot of preventive measures that work quite well when it comes to an ant infestation and some of those preventive measures are being listed here:
- If there’s a food or drink spillage in your home then try to clean them quickly as food and drinks are the things that attract ants the most
- Always clean your home with a vacuum cleaner as it removes all the dirt along with any food particles that can be stuck in cracks of floor or in places where you can’t clean easily like under the bed, table, upholstery, cabinet, etc.
- If you have pets at home then clean their dishes after they finish eating because their leftovers can also attract ants.
- Always dump your garbage daily because many things in your garbage are a source of food for ants and if you don’t empty your garbage can regularly then it will work as a feeding area for ants.
- Fix any leaks in your home or call professionals to take care of them.
- Keep your food in cabinets or fridge where ants can’t reach it.
- Don’t leave food uncovered as it will attract ants, cover it with something or store it in airtight containers.
- Seal away all the entry points or cracks in walls, doors, floor, etc from where ants were coming into your home or from where they can enter in the future.
Getting rid of ants is not that tough as you can do that with the help of some common ingredients that are present in your home. There are a lot of ways to deal with ants but Melbourne Pest Control is listing here the best ways to kill or remove ants from your property.
- Borax bait: borax is a common ingredient that is mostly used in cosmetics and you can easily find it at any general store. It works like a poison on ants so you can make a bait from it and place it in an area where ants can easily access it. Mix a little water and sugar in half a cup of borax to make a paste. The ants will eat this and die as borax works as a poison on them.
- Citrus juice: there are many citrus fruits present at home and the best known are oranges or lemon. Squeeze 2-3 lemons or half orange in a bottle and mix water in it and pour this mixture into a spray bottle. Spray it in every corner, cracks, near garbage cans, and any other place where you see their movement the most.
- White vinegar: it’s a very effective product to get rid of ants. All you have to do is add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of vinegar and spray it over the areas where you spot ants. The strong smell of vinegar will break the train of pheromone left behind by other ants. You can also mix some vinegar in water for cleaning the floor to remove all sorts of trails left by ants.
- Mint:: if you want that your yard is safe from ants then you can simply plant min in your garden as its smell is unbearable for ants and at the same time you can use it in your house in different recipes.
- Grounded black pepper: it’s another natural ingredient that you can use to get rid of ants without killing them. You can simply sprinkle black pepper in the corners of the room or directly over ant trail. The strong smell of black pepper will distort their pheromone trail and make them confused and as a result, they leave your home.
- Cinnamon: if you are looking for a natural ingredient to not just get rid of ants but also to kill them then the cinnamon powder is your best choice as it has natural none toxic substances in it which are deadly for ants. You can get some grounded cinnamon and sprinkle it in those areas where you spot the ants most frequently.
- Cornstarch: you need to pour cornstarch all over and near an anthill or place of origin in your home. Cornstarch does not provide any nutrition to ants but still, they are attracted towards it and eat it. Due to lack of nutrition ants start dying slowly and in no time your home becomes ant-free.
All of the methods mentioned above work very well when you want to get rid of ants in the house. But sometimes when you don’t take care of these ants in time, they can spread at an alarming rate which may result in an infestation and an ant infestation is very difficult for you to handle on your own so you should call for professionals to take care of the infestation. Melbourne Pest Control is among the greatest pest controllers present in the market. Our employees are efficient in taking care of these pests as they are equipped with the best techniques and equipment that are used for ant pest control in Melbourne. So next time you are in a need of pest control, without any hesitation call Melbourne Pest Control.