Houseflies can create quite a nuisance in your home if you don’t get rid of them in time. Flies are harmful to your home in many ways. But no matter how careful you are or how clean you keep your home, flies always find their way into your home. That’s why you need to know some ways by which you can easily get rid of flies in your home.
Many people wonder how to get rid of house flies as they appear even if you keep all the doors and windows closed. So Melbourne Pest Control will mention here some easy and effective ways that will answer your question, how to get rid of flies in the kitchen or anywhere in the home.
1. Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a natural ingredient that is used to get rid of many pests in your home. It can be used to get rid of flies also. You can use it in different ways and forms, whichever suits you best. Speaking of its use to get rid of flies, you can use it in 3 forms.
- Cinnamon sticks: you can get them from a general store and place them in places like near bins and in other places where flies are mostly seen.
- Essential oil: cinnamon essential oils are also very effective in doing away with flies. You can put the essential oils in a spray bottle along with 1-2 cups of warm water and spray it all over the house. It will not just help in removing flies but also make your home smell good.
- Incense: incenses are the most sophisticated way as you can simply place them in any room and after burning it, its smoke will spread the fragrance of cinnamon all around.
2. House plants: you can get some plants and put them inside and near your home to avoid flies at your property. There are plenty of plants that repel flies and some of them can be planted inside your home. These plants will not just help you keep your home flies free but also energize and refresh your mood. Here’s a list of some plants that you can place inside your home to get rid of flies:
3. Natural and essential oils: essential oils are another tool for dealing with flies. There are plenty of essential oils in the market and most of them are good for getting rid of flies. The most effective essentials oils are peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and lemongrass. You can either use them separately or mix them if you want to get the best results. These essentials oils will remove any flies in your home along with any unpleasant smells that might be there inside your room.
4. White wine or vodka: you can create a harmful bait that will kill flies and especially fruit flies. All you need to do is mix some vinegar in white wine and leave it out in a bowl, in a place where flies are found frequently. This mixture will kill every fly in that area as the vinegar is harmful to flies and when they drink it, it works as a poison for them. In case you want to get them away from your home without killing them, then you can simply use vodka for that as flies hate the smell of vodka. Pour half a cup of vodka in a sealed plastic bag and poke a hole on top of the bag after sealing it. Hang it by the hole near windows or in the cabinets where flies are most likely to contaminate your food. Flies will simply stay away from the food because of the smell of vodka.
5. Apple cider vinegar: if you are thinking about how can I get rid of flies in my house using a natural, non-toxic substance then apple cider vinegar is your best choice as it’s another easily available ingredient that can be used to remove flies from your home. You can use it in two different ways and Melbourne Pest Control has explained them both here:
- ACV spray: put 1 cup of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle and add 2 spoons of your favourite essential oils in it along with 1 tablespoon of dish soap. Spray this mixture all over your home and especially in those areas where flies are most active. The strong smell will get rid of flies in no time.
- Bottle trap: in a glass, put some apple cider vinegar along with 2 spoons of dish soap. Mix it well and then cover the cup with transparent plastic wrap. You can use some rubber bands to tighten the grip of plastic wrap on the cup. Use a small pointy object to poke holes in the wrap. This trap will work in two ways, firstly, the flies will be able to enter inside the wrap but won’t be able to exit the holes, and secondly, the flies that will try to feed on vinegar will be stuck inside the liquid due to soap present in the solution.
6. Cayenne pepper: cayenne pepper is another strong fly repellant. Simply mix 1-2 spoons of cayenne pepper in 2 cups of warm water. Now you need to spray it in all those places where flies come and sit most often or you can simply spray it over the flies. The smell of pepper will make the flies sense weak and as a result, some will die and others will go away and never come back to that place. Be sure not to spray it on someone and also avoid inhaling the vapours of the spray. Flies can’t stand the cayenne pepper smell and eventually go away from your property.
7. Flypaper: you can make your sticky flypaper or buy some from the store. To make your flypaper you need to mix water, corn syrup, and sugar in equal quantities. To mix them well put them in a pot and heat the mixture until it all mixes well. Now let it cool down and then dip some pieces of cloth or pieces of a paper bag in it. After this set aside these stripes until they drip dry. Check them by touching the surface, if the surface is not sticking to your fingers that means it’s good to go. Now hang these strips in areas where flies are present. When flies will land on them to eat sugar, corn syrup will start working and stick their feet as well as wings to the paper and trapping them eventually.
All the methods mentioned here are only useful if your house is not heavily infested by flies. In the scenario of peak infestation, it can be pretty tough for you to get rid of these flies so in that case professionals like Melbourne Pest Control are your best choice. For best flies control in Melbourne, you should rely on Melbourne Pest Control as we are the most trusted and well-known fly terminators in the area. No matter what species of flies we have to deal with, we are always ready. Without any hesitation, you can get in touch with Melbourne Pest Control workers and explain to them all about the situation you are in. Your safety and wellbeing are our priority and for that, we do everything possible. So next time you are in a need of flies pest control then call Melbourne Pest Control and we will be at your doorsteps in no time.