Fleas are blood-sucking parasite-like insects that can be found almost anywhere on this planet. These creatures can stay hidden for many days and silently attack you and your loved one from the dark. It’s very tough to detect them and that’s exactly what makes them dangerous. Now the first thing that pops up in your mind must be how do fleas get into your home and the simple and well-known answer to this is your pets.
They can easily stick to their host and keep their grip until they find another source of food. They are not always inside your home due to your pets but also due to other things like rodents that come and go inside your home through cracks and sinks or maybe any friend of yours who might be infested by fleas can also bring fleas to your home. There are hundreds of places from where fleas can attach to your body and reach your home.
Now that you know that how do fleas get into your home, let’s get to the methods by which you can get rid of them. There’s always confusion on what to do if you have fleas in your home as some say you can use methods commonly used for killing insects and some say there are special methods to kill fleas. Well, somehow both are correct as there are some ways of killing fleas that can also be used to kill other pests as well. Melbourne Pest Control is stating here some of the ways by which you can get rid of fleas:
- Baking soda: sprinkle baking soda all over the places where you spot fleas. After that use a brush to scrub the surface of the carpet, mattress, couch, arc. Where you sprinkled baking soda so that the baking soda can go deep inside the fibers and not just kill fleas but also kill their larvae and eggs also.
- Salt: it’s a dehydrating agent that is used to kill several pests. It affects the outer shell of fleas and ends up killing them. All you need to do is sprinkle it on rugs and carpets for killing fleas. Let it sit overnight and then use a vacuum cleaner to clear away salt along with dead fleas.
- Citrus spray: you can make a citrus spray with the help of any sour fruit or lemon easily. The easiest way to make it is by squeezing some lemons in a spray bottle and adding water to it. After that spray, the solution in all the infested areas and will end up killing fleas.
- Diatomaceous earth: its application is similar to that of salt as it also dehydrated the exoskeleton of fleas. It’s a better choice as compared to salt because it also disinfects the surface over which it is sprinkled.
- Steam cleaner: you can use a steam cleaner along with a vacuum cleaner to kill fleas easily. Fleas can’t withstand high temperatures and die instantly due to dramatic changes in their surrounding temperature.
- Essential oils: there are many essential oils available on the market that can be used to get rid of fleas. Fleas cant bear the strong fragrance of these oils and eventually either die or come out of their hiding place. Then you can simply use a vacuum cleaner to remove them.
How to get rid of fleas on a dog:
As mentioned before by Melbourne Pest Control, pets are the main source of fleas in your home, and amount pets, dogs are especially the main source as cats don’t go out that often but dogs do. Do the following things to get rid of dog fleas:
- The first thing to do is always keep your dog immune from fleas by taking some preventive measures. There are many preventive pills and gels available on the market that will help you prevent your dog from being infested by fleas.
- Use flea shampoos to kill the fleas that are present on your dogs.
- Flea pills are also an effective measure to kill fleas instantly.
- Apply essential oils on their bed so that any fleas present near their beds also die instantly.
That’s all that you can do to prevent and kill fleas in your home but still, if you aren’t able to handle the situation then call Melbourne Pest Control as we are a team of trained professionals who have expertise in flea pest control in Melbourne. Many people often ask us how long after the pest control fleas die and our answer to it is quite simple. The time depends on the method used by the Melbourne Pest Control technician. The time corresponding to the method is being explained here briefly for your convenience:
- Spraying: sprays are the most effective and fastest method used by Melbourne Pest Control to make your premise flea-free. The spray used in this method is quite poisonous for your pets also so you will be advised to vacate your premise for 3-4 hours or until the whole area is treated. The spray will be applied to all the corners and places near your couch and bed, where fleas are most likes to be found. Any fleas that get in contact with spray die instantly. But you need to get 2-3 appointments for ensuring there are no fleas left.
- Fogging: it’s the second method of killing fleas used by Melbourne Pest Control but this is comparatively more time-consuming. In this, a fogging machine is used to secret poisonous gas that reaches every corner of your home. All the windows and doors have to be locked and then smoke or fog is released. But here you need to stay out of your home for at least 6 hours. After the fogging is done, all the fleas and their eggs will die instantly. After that, all windows are opened to let fresh air in. In just a single appointment your home will be free of fleas.