If you own a home or even live on rent, you’ve likely experienced some unwanted visitors and you might not be able to deter all those unfavourable guests so easily. But in the case of ants, you can. There are a couple of different species of ants that can invade your home and most of them might not seem like much of a threat to you or your property but they can still be contagious to your food, cause damage to your building and even bite you. Ants can become a big threat for you if you don’t handle them in time and to help you with this problem Melbourne Pest Control is always there for you.
What causes ants to invade your home
Most people ask about how to get rid of ants but instead, they should first know why ant infestation starts in the first place. Many things contribute towards ant infestation in your home and the major causes are listed here by Melbourne Pest Control:
- Bushes and long grass in your yard can be a favorable habitat for ants.
- Leave and woodpiles in the garden area can also be another reason for ant infestation.
- Keeping trash cans near your house or doorway can attract ants easily.
- Dirty dishes in the sink.
- Not cleaning the floor and kitchen after meals.
- Leaving food outside, uncovered attracts ants.
What stops ants from coming in to the house.
Ants are so tiny and pesky that they can easily come inside your home. No matter how safe you keep your home they will always find their way into your home. So rather than ant proofing your home you can simply practice some preventive measures, that will reduce the chances of an ant infestation in your home. Some preventive measures have been mentioned here:
- Empty your dustbin everyday and keep it 11-15 feet away from home.
- Wash your dishes after meals and especially after dinner.
- Keep your food covered and store it inside the fridge and cupboards
- Cleaning the kitchen after cooking
- Cleaning the dining table after having your meals
- Keep the grass and shrubs trimmed.
How to get rid of ants
Ants can be annoying when it comes to infestation as they will be everywhere inside and outside your home at the time of infestation. They chew tiny holes in walls and stairs to move freely. To get rid of these ants Melbourne Pest Control is suggesting you some basic methods that can be used to eliminate the ant population from your premises. Choose any one of the following methods to kill the ants and make your home ant-free:
- Borax and Diatomaceous earth: both these products work the same way as they dehydrate the outer shell of insects and end up killing them. But there’s only one thing that should be kept in mind and that is the diatomaceous earth can only be used indoors as it loses its efficiency when it comes in contact with water, whereas borax could be used both indoors and outdoors but your pets and children should be kept away from borax.
- Food-based repellents: it’s a great natural option for getting rid of ants from your home. There’s a variety of food-based repellents that you can use. The best part about them is that they are non-toxic with no side effects. Some of the most common food-based repellents are:
- White vinegar spray
- Cinnamon powder
- Coffee grounds
- Citrus fruit peels
- Mint, etc.
- Bait traps: they are very easy to use and effective to eliminate ants indoors since they allow you to easily wipe out an entire ant colony. You can get bait traps easily from the supermarket and place them inside your home to attract ants. If you want it to be more effective then try using both carb-based and protein-based bait traps. Try to put them in dark and shady places like under the fridge, cabinets, under stoves, or drains.Avoid putting it in the middle of the trail otherwise, the bait trap won’t be much effective.
- Non-repellent ant spray: an ant spray is another effective method of eliminating ants. You can use a spray in addition to bait traps to increase efficiency. Using a non-repellent spray is the best option as the ants won’t be able to detect it easily. The spray will not kill the ants instantly after they come in contact with the treated area rather they will keep spreading the toxic substance all over their colony before eventually dying.Baseboards, window frames, door frames, and corners of the rooms are some places where you should spray the spray.
- Liquid baits and granules: this method is most suitable for outdoor ant control and Melbourne Pest Control recommends you not to use it indoors. Liquid baits can be placed near the plants and water sources where ants are seen most often. Granules can be directly sprinkled over the soil as it is non-toxic to the soil but serves as a harmful substance to ants. They carry the granules to their colony and share them with other ants. Both these methods are equally effective for getting rid of ants from your lawn and backyard.
All these methods are approved by Melbourne Pest Control and can be used by anyone without any trouble. Ants can be easily irradiated by using any one of these methods but only if the infestation is moderate. In case of heavy infestation, you should call Melbourne Pest Control as we are the professionals who provide ants pest control in Melbourne at very reasonable rates and in the shortest time possible. Whenever you are in a need of ant pest control, you can get in contact with Melbourne Pest Control and give us a chance to be useful to you. We guarantee you that until your property becomes ant-free.